Monday, February 14, 2011

A Load of Crap

A load of crap. In other words... laundry day. When moms wash everything from poop-to-nuts.


In our house we have three potties in the same bathroom. One for my son, one for my daughter, and one for her teddy bear.

And even with all these receptacles for human waste, a couple of times a week I end up with something I don't want to see or smell all over my children's clothes. And I need to throw a load of laundry in the wash. Hence, the "load of crap."

Parents of young children have to deal with any number of things that would cause an employee at some other company to file a lawsuit. Can you imagine walking into your boss' office and telling him or her, "I'm quitting because Joe pooped on me. And Susan peed all over her desk, even after I asked her not to. And I seem to be the only one around here who cares enough to clean this up!"

It's hard. Parenting is hard, messy work. When my son was potty training, he kept forgetting to go in to the bathroom when he had to poop. One time I rushed him in there, took down his pull-ups, and heard something drop on the floor. "Please be a toy car," I prayed. But I looked down and saw the big brown blob of poop on the carpet. Some sort of primitive mother-instinct took over, and I decided to make this a game.

I picked up the poop with my bare hand, showed it to my son and said, "See? This is a poopy." I dropped it into the potty and said, "Can you make a friend for him in the potty?"

Though I couldn't believe what I was doing at the time, it worked. My son was so excited to make a poopy friend he sat down and went #2 right on the potty. And has done so ever since.

Just goes to show a little fun and games can go a long way to surviving the poops-to-nuts challenges of parenthood.

© play101blog.blogspot.com, 2011-2012

No comments:

Post a Comment